Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sunrise to Sunset

"wake up!" she seemed to scream at me in a familiar but somewhat annoying tone. I rolled over so i could see her face, she was glowing and this annoyed me. "I'ts too early" i grumbled, "5 more minutes" and I rolled back over and fell back to sleep. I must have done this a few more times, but I finally decided to give in. I reached out to touch her face as i sat up in bed, instead of puching the snooze button again this time I turned her alarm off. Me and my alarm clock have had this same love hate relationship for years. Well.. i was up early this morning for a reason, I was going to ride 35 miles to work on my bike.

This morning I rode from my appartment in St Pete to Carrollwood Bicycle Emporium in north Tampa. I left in time to catch the sunrise on my way across the Bayside bridge headed into Safety Harbor. By way of the Ream Wilson Trail (East West Trail) I paused to take a breather at the fountain by the pier at Safety Harbor Marina, one of the most beautiful places I have ever had the opportunity to live in. When I get married Safety Harbor Marina will be high on the list of possible locations.
I continued my ride up Phillipee Parkway and onto 580, Through Oldsmar and into Tampa, and eventually finding the Upper Tampa Bay Trail. The weather was warm and inviting and I was humming "zipidy doo dah" to myself as I peddaled between the trees alongside the Veterans Expressway. The ride was very enjoyable and I was happy to be on my bike, it was a very peaceful experience to be riding alone this morning on the trail. There were a few people here and there... a couple roller bladers, a few cyclists, maybe a walker or two... but to be alone with my thoughts, seperate from the chaos of traffic, noise and road rage, at least for the few short miles the trail provided me... it was enough to put a smile on my face. I was able to separate myself from the world. It was a great feeling.
On my way home from work I got one last shot of the sun going down coming across 580 on my way home. I had been dreading having to ride another 35 miles after working all day, but it really was refreshing. The sky in Florida is beautiful at sunset, brilliant shades of purple and pink and orange.. all painted like a mural across the sky.. and constantly evolving into another masterpiece for me to witness as if I were walking through some great painters gallery. I am very happy that I took the time to ride to work today. Aside from the accomplishment of having ridden 70 miles, aside from saving on gas and pollution, it has to be one of the better experiences any person can ever go through.
Side Note: after getting home I realized I had left my keys at work.

Note to self: Dont leave keys at work.

1 comment:

gene said...

Hello Brain,
Thanks again for all you help and info about the LHT. And thanks for letting me test ride yours, it's a great riding bike. I was looking at all the LHT articles and ran into your blog. When you told me today about riding your bike 35 miles to work, it must have gone over my head. Now that I see this article and realize you rode 70 miles, then put in a days work, that's enough to waste anybody. Way to go. Love your sunset, shots like that make biking worth it. See you when my bike comes in. Gene Crain