Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Project: Budget Touring Bike Part 1

So I had to sell my Long Haul Trucker... I wasn't happy with the decision but at the time I was in need and the bike was too small for me... I must be growing... anyway, recently I was given an old Giant hybrid bike which I thought could be made to be a decent touring bike. So far not much has been done but just enough to make it really road worthy. Here are some of the mods so far: in the first picture I have added tires(Vittoria Randonneur 700x35), my Brooks saddle off my mountain bike, and a bag that I stitched up just for this purpose. The bag is actually quite nice... it will act as my "handlebar bag" as it is very easy to access while on the bike and actually makes more sense because it puts the load lower in my center of gravity and takes the weight off the handlebars... im a freakin' genius... anyway.
Next I ordered a set of these trekking bars on ebay, which I have been wanting to try for some time... I have since wrapped these with bar tape and they have proven to be very comfortable with endless hand positions... these are great bars for touring... highly recommended. Another nice thing about these bars... they use mountain bike components... very inexpensive compared to road parts and very easy to find for replacement whilst on the road.
Lastly, so far, I picked up these old Cannondale panniers on ebay at a great price. I went uncontested. nice. I like the color of these bags, but I may either re-cloth them or make dark colored rain covers in order to be more discreet whilst stealth camping.
Well so far that is all for part one... I need racks and fenders yet, and i will eventually lace up some better wheels, but until next time...

No comments: