Sunday, May 22, 2011

True Temper!!!

Dont think of this as an advice piece, but don't cast it off as unintelligible angry rambling either. I do not wish to own a carbon fiber bicycle... ever. I heard today the angels sing of the glory of carbon fiber from a co-worker and I just cannot subject myself to this in the same way that I will not subject myself to the trash of modern sci-fi or romance novels. Carbon fiber is the equivalent of Nora Roberts and Micheal Crichton as Hemingway and Kerouac are to a good Columbus or True Temper steel. You see, I have never, ever, seen a broken steel frame bicycle... ever. Oh, sure, components break... but i have never seen a steel bicycle even one that had been hit by a car, that wasn't repairable... on the other hand... I couldn't count on fingers and toes how many broken carbon fiber components I have seen as a mechanic. Carbon is lighter than steel... but that is where the benefits end. Steel is a much more comfortable ride, it is stronger, it lasts longer, and it is actually possible to build a light steel bike. Dont listen to the hype... Steel IS real.

No comments: