Thursday, May 19, 2011

I really do.

Sometimes when one is left to his own devices for a length of time the absence of anything productive to do can drive one mad. It is harder to truly understand or appreciate this fact until you have not only been left to your own devices, but had a chance to recuperate and reflect upon the times when you were so severely bored with life that you were driven mad. Often it is not the condition that teaches us about life, but the rebound and the subsequent reflection through which we can gain an appreciation for the hard times that we had survived.
Boredom, or rather "a lack of something useful to do," often puts me into a depressive state that consumes and paralyzes me. Without both mental challenge and physical stimulation, both of which to take my mind off of the other, I get bored. For the first time in a while, full time employment and full time enrollment in school seems like a great idea. Wrenching on bicycles gives me a chance to sort out my personal thoughts and to think through the complicated ideas that often keep me awake at night. But being in school feeds me the idea that i wont be working on other peoples bicycles for the rest of my life. So in essence I have hope for the future whilst being able to take care of my immediate needs. Not just hope for the future, and not just the thought of living forever with a mediocre 9 to 5. Not that I dont enjoy working at a bike shop with some great guys... I really do.

No comments: