Thursday, June 16, 2011

Project: Budget Touring Bike - Part 3



The front racks came in for the bike yesterday, and though they needed some bit of modification to make them work with my front fork, they are mounted up and ready for some camping! The bike as you see it is pretty much Trail Travel ready, but with some upgrades to be seen in the future. So I wont call this the final chapter... It will continue to be a work in progress as is any bike, however, with less than $250 and some bit of patience I was able to put a touring bike together that could haul me across the country if I asked it to. Woofreakinoot!
These front bags (for some reason) did not have the spring attachment that the rear bags did to hold the panniers to the racks, so I got a flat bungee cord and made some modifications to make it useful. The front racks also seemed to be intended for a fork with less rake than mine, so I used some old disc brake adapters as extenders to make the whole thing fit. I will say that some of these mods were much more helpful being mechanically enclined, and extremely much more so since I am employed by a bike shop. but either way, I made things work and it looks stock.

No comments: