Thursday, June 9, 2011

Project: Budget Touring Bike - Part 2


I got the Panniers in today, and yesterday I got a free rear rack from work that was intended for the donation heap. The front pannier is not mounted to a rack yet as those were much harder to find. In this picture the front panniers are hanging from the brakes. Two seconds after this picture took they both fell off, you can kinda see the left one going. I like the red though... it really pops off of the black bike. Im planning on making some darker rain covers for them to keep them discreet for stealth camping. so far though the bike is REALLY coming along.
The Cannondale panniers are very small but more than enough to carry all of my backpacking gear with plenty of room for food and souvenirs. All 4 bags have an outside pouch for organizing smaller things. My tent doesnt fit in the bags but will fit nicely on top of the rear rack. Which will be necessary anyway after rainy nights, to allow the tent to dry.
These panniers are great... it seems as if someone bought them years and years ago and just kept them in storage... they are in perfect condition and if they were used it could only have been once or twice. there is no sun damage to them at all, and not a bit of dirt. GREAT ebay find!
I am waiting on front racks, rims, and need to find fenders and possibly a better headset that is easier to adjust.
So far I have spent less than $200 and with my front rack and rim order I will still be at just under $250. I do understand that for most this number might be a little higher as I do work in a bike shop and have access to things others do not, but so far I have only purchased the tires, rims, and front rack through the shop. The rest of the stuff could be found on craig's list or ebay.
Until next time....

No comments: