Saturday, May 16, 2009

Garden Update



The garden is doing quite well... The tomatoes and peppers are producing and the corn is flowering. I made dinner the other night with the one red tomato and a chili pepper. The lettuce and spinach I had did not work out so I spread the onions into the area where they were and planted some pole beans as well. The caterpillar problem I had is completely gone.
Nothing is more calming and relaxing than spending time weeding, watering and spraying my garden. It is quite peaceful. The most rewarding part is the delicious food that comes from the work I've put into it. Not only are the vegetables good but Ive followed them every step of the way and I know exactly what went into keeping them clean and organic. If anyone wants some tomatoes, peppers or corn let me know... I will have plenty in the next few weeks.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job on the garden Brian. I grew some corn and some type of bug is eating it up. Did you have to use pesticides?

Kurt

Unknown said...

I use sesame oil mixed with fish oil and water... completely harmless to the plants and edible to humans... so completely organic... but it helps with the bugs... the white flies return quickly but I have found that using the sesame oil every three days or so keeps them away. The sesame oil didnt work with the caterpillars on the tomatoes... I had to hand pick those little buggers off... took time but they havent returned. go firgure. :)

Unknown said...

I have enjoyed several peppers and a tomato so far... several tomatoes and corn coming, with onions almost ready to pluck as well. I have recently started some beans but they may take several weeks to start flowering. I have red bells that are turning red... I cant WAIT for those.

Anonymous said...

Sesame Oil - I will check into that. Basically I see what grows with no pesticides and if I have problems with it I try something else.

Kentucky Blue Pole Beans have done very well. Use an 6-8 foot pole Once they stop grow up the pole they don’t do as well. Family of 3 had three meals off of 4 plants so far.

In Florida most blooming vegetables need the cooler nights. In the summer I go with onions/radishes/herbs/carrots/etc.

Keep it up. It's good bonding with your son.

Unknown said...

yeah my tomato plants are starting to die out a little now that they have fruited for some time... one of them is holding on strong and growing like a weed, but it seems the rest gave it what they had. lots of good tomatoes though:)