Friday, February 27, 2009

being geeky... getting ready for some solitude


I love reading through these diagrams so I thought it would be fun to do my own. Im going on a 5 day trip to Myakka next week and this is the gear I am taking for the week.
1. most importantly, reading material.. this happens to be Kerouak's "On the Road"
2. Important documents, maps, writing material, and an Audubon Guide to Florida flora and fauna
3. light weight wicking shorts (swim gear, underwear, and sleep gear)
4. Hand knitted wool beanie, knitted by my friend Gladis, whom I think hates me
5. Go BULLS!
6. Marmot Trestles 15 degree bag
7. Princeton Tec Fuel LED head lamp, and a couple pencils, and a Burts Bees tube
8. Light weight wind/rain resistant pants
9. Adventure Medical Kits Ultralight .5 first aid kit
10. Silva compass
11. Mountain Hardwear Epic rain shell, great in the rain, also great as an outter layer.
12. (2) Nalgene(or otherwise) 32oz water bottles
13. Evernew Titanium cook pot, containing my MSR Whisper Light stove, and water-proof matches
14. Fuel, in a bright red MSR bottle
15. my "bathroom" bag.. soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, bug repellant(100% deet, this IS Florida), emergency mirror, shit paper
16. Pack Towel by MSR
17. about 10 yards of parachute cord, for hanging food
18. tent pegs and poles
19. inexspensive tripod
20. Therma-rest Ridge Rest... big but the lightest mat you can buy, and cost less than 15$
21. exactly 4 and a half days and 4 nights worth of food.. with e few extras, including trail mix
22. yes Im a wuss, thats my pillow.. stuffed tightly into that little bag
23. Big Agnes Seedhouse 2 tent
24. snacks :)
25. me shoes, columbia trail runners
26. Osprey Kestrel 48, in paprika, yes somehow all this shit fits in this thing
27. Canon EOS D1000 Rebel XS, wearing EFS 18-55IS, hood and polarlized lense filter
28. Canon EFS 55-150IS, I call it "the long sword", wearing UV Filter
29. my old camera bag, now used as a sheath for the long sword
30. Lowe Pro top loader camera case

missing from shot:
-Clothes to be worn
-fly rod... soon
-plastic grocery bags to pack out trash, as well as trash i may find on the trail

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice! Are you biking. hiking, or driving there?

We'd like to hit ONF and do some hiking & camping before heading out west in April.

Unknown said...

getting droped off, the rest will be on foot. I think ONF might be on my schedule for my next local trip... this summer i want to either do a section of the AT or head out west... who knows.

Gladis said...

You removed my link from your blog-roll, how am I supposed to act?

;-)

Luis G. said...

Myakka is great, too bad they don't allow dogs! Saw the biggest wild boar out there once on a solo hike, sucker wouldn't budge...