Tuesday, January 15, 2008

New Years Resolutions.. and last years outs

well... here it is, a new year.. I dont have much time to get to a computer lately so ill try to cover a lot in this one post. Over the last couple months a lot has happened. I have been commuting to work by bike and by bus a LOT lately, and it is a scary ride. I ride from st pete to tampa and car drivers are just not happy people... and it is downright dangerous for a cyclist out there. Ive had people yell at me to get off the road on several occasions and several honks to which I cannot say ive always reacted to in a civil way... but then why should I? I have a right to be there.
I mostly ride my fixed bike when i commute and people think im crazy for it. but ive found that when i ride safetly, in control and defensively, I feel pretty safe. If im going to get hit im going to get hit on the fixie or any bike I choose. on the occasion that i have needed to bring more things with me i have brought the Long Haul with my old trek bags... which are actually quite handy and I am starting to fall back in love with them. On that note... I have decided to make my own bags based on some information i got off of Ken Kifers page (kenkifer.com/bikepages) I am using some of the old duffel bags i got in the Army, so my bags will quite litterally be "green" bags. and I will try to document the step by step process as i move along. at the moment im so low on funds that i cant afford thread. but that will change. which leads me to another story. I got a new job... and its a move up for me, which I am very excited about. Im working with my buddy Ted(of the Single Speed Mafia) at the new Trek Store of Tampa. I am working in a service department this time instead of doing sales as well, and its kind of refreshing being able to focus on my work. I am an hour closer by bike to my appartment and the route is a bit safer. I can see a lot of opportunities for my future with this job and the guys I work with are really supportive.
On another note I have decided to start eating mostly vegetarian.. At the moment I really cant afford food so this has not been a tough process at all, but when I shop I have been buying veges. The few exceptions are hooters wings on fight nights and chicken at carrabas. Aslo I have cut out soda from my diet entirely. It has been since the last week of december and I have been running strong with no real desire to drink it. I have noticed a change in my energy levels throughout the day and I have not had a sugar crash all year.
I ride practically every work day so it has been tough to ride for pleasure over the past months but i do hope to get in some more off road riding this year. I also hope to start donating some of my time to cycling related charities like Gods Pedal Power.. and I want to do more to become a bigger influence in cycling advocacy by joining IMBA and by doing some grass roots advocacy.
Most importantly I would like to have my bags done in time to do some camping trips with my family this spring, and I hope to ride with them more in general.
well.. heres to a better year and a successful life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian,

one of the part time guys at work is also a boat canvas guy full time, so if you need some thread or some sewing done I can hook you up.
its me ononecog you know how to find me