Monday, January 21, 2008

Commuting... the friendship Trail.


My route to and from work brings me past some of Floridas finest scenery. This is the Gandy bridge and the old Gandy bridge, The Friendship Trail, which follows alongside it. This was taken yesterday an hour before sunset.


These are the breakers on the Tampa side of the Gandy.
This is a track vehicle at the US Marine detachment just to the north of those breakers.

Im at 110 miles for the month so far. Most done on the fixie, a few on my Long Haul Trucker modified for commuting.

Long Haul Trucker... sans racks... this beast pushed 39 mph on the back side of that bridge... i had a nice tail wind... and I was carrying an average speed of about 23 mph in the flats.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am trying to commute from Clearwater to Tampa by bike. I live in Northern Clearwater. Just wondering if you can park at the Friendship Bridge trail all day, or should i leave my car at the park and ride at Ulmerton and Starkey and ride the rest.

Unknown said...

you can park there... its a public park... and its open late for the fishermen that are always out there. it seems to me though that if your comming from north clearwater that it would be more beneficial to go accross north tampa.

Unknown said...

I wish I could do the North Tampa route, but the other crossings, Courtney Campbell and Howard Franklin are too dangerous. I Live just north of Drew Street. Trying to ride around Tampa Airport during rush hour is risky too. Thank You for your time!

Unknown said...

you could come across 590 and depending upon your intended destination i could find you a safe route... shoot me an email and ill give you some ideas. theres always a way!

Unknown said...

Home: near corner of Highland and Sunset Point in Clearwater.

Work: Corner of Dale Mabry and Bay to Bay Blvd. in South Tampa.

Any advice would be welcome.

Unknown said...

the southern route would be safest. though coming accross 580 to dale mabry would be viable.. though a bit scary. thats a tough route.