Friday, June 12, 2009

Getting in shape and thinking about racing again.


Ok it has been some time since I have mentioned anything related to bicycle racing. In fact my last race was over a year ago. The Karate Monkey has been leaning patiently against the wall in my bedroom for quite some time... oh sure Ive been on the trails... once maybe every three months, but I believe the time is coming that she will spend some time on a race course. I have been putting in some mileage on the bike and on the running shoes, not much, but enough to spark some curiosity about how well I would do if I started training again for the fall mountain bike series starting this september. The scale has been teasing dangerously close to a milestone no one wants to accomplish and I am battling the climb with all my strength... ORRR perhaps with a lackluster, semi-hearted motivation that is held back by my inability to break free of stress (coughexcusescough). For the last two weeks I have riden at least two days for a minimal amount of mileage, I have been attempting to walk more and even jogging from time to time, and most importantly I have been training at my local MMA gym. Now, they call it "mixed martial arts". For my purposes the acronym is doning the new definition "move my ass". With the added intensity and doubled pace of the summer coursework I have spent a lot of time sitting on my ass in the house(coughexcusecough). So to get me out of the depressing, cabin feverish shlump, I have been trying to do some of these things just to get me outside and active. Well.. and also to take my mind off of probability, pascals triangle, and espanol... but the rewarding benefit is double fold... it takes my mind off of things just long enough to revitalize me but it also makes me sharper. And, now that I feel I am getting into a decent enough training regimine the ideas are floating around about racing my mountain bike again. We'll see how it goes... but if I am out there in September, you better believe I'm coming out to win.

No comments: