Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A tuesday with "Tuesdays with Morrie"


After dropping Caleb off at school this morning I prepared myself for a little adventure. I grabbed the Quantum, threw my book in my messenger bag, add wind in my face and cars flying by within inches of my side and i was in heaven. I rode from the house to Lake Seminole Park in Seminole, not a long trip but probably a 10 mile trip. I found my way into the back of the park where the fitness trail was and I went searching for a hiding spot just off the winding path where I wouldnt be bothered by joggers and people walking thier dogs. There is a little lake out there where there are a few park benches hidden away from the view of the trail. I found me a comfortable spot on a bench beneath a well matured live oak, I leaned the bike up against the back of the bench, took off my helmet, and dove into my book. Im reading this book, or should I say attempting to read it, for the 4th time. I have started it several times in my life due to one good reason or another. This time I started it with one thing in mind... to finish it. I read for more than two hours at my bench by the lake.
It is a searching of the soul. I have trouble with loneliness. Serious trouble that can cause me to get so lost in depression that i tailspin from life. I am uncomfortable being alone at times... and it keeps me from getting to know myself. Reading about Morrie Schwartz's life and death is giving me insight on what it means to know yourself, and the meaning of life. By taking from general
life experience, some christian and buhdist principles, and the love of family, Morrie teaches the meaning of existence. The book is teaching me how to be comfortable with my independance, and it is also teaching me to take control of my life, and not to worry about my own emotions or the influence of society on my life. I believe that a change in my life is emminent and though this book is inspiring me, it was the need for that change that drew me back to this book for the 4th and final time. Its time for me to study how to be the best person that I can be, not for a grade or to be judged by anyone but to give myself and my son the best lives we can obtain.
I am thankful to Mitch Albom for writting this book.. it is inspiring me to start reading other books that will help me to be everything I ever wanted to be, and not let the pressures of the world distract me again.
On a side note I had two flats today and had to walk to a bike shop to fix them... i laughed about it.

2 comments:

Karlos said...

Interesting.

I recommend two books to everyone.

"The Four Agreements"

And

"The power of now"

read them.

Unknown said...

do you have them? ill check the library... i just finished my last book on bhuddism and that one was great... if you have those books let me borrow brother im poor! :)