Friday, April 27, 2007

The Trucker

This story was going to start out about a bike that i built at work that i thought was really cool. Well technically i guess it still can... but the story has changed quite a bit. I built this bike at the shop two weeks ago, the bike; a Surly Long Haul Trucker.
With all the talk around the shop about touring trips and commuting the LHT has been a bit of a hot topic amongst a few of us. The Trucker is a touring bike through and through. It has mounts for racks, 3 bottle mounts, a frame pump braze-on, even a spare spoke holder on the chain stay, and a comfortably relaxed geometry. It is built and bred for long distance, fully loaded, touring trips. It also makes a great commuter bike.

Long story short, after all the talk around the shop and extensive thought and research i took this baby home from the shop floor. I outfitted her with a Brooks B17 leather saddle, which I must say is an extremely comfortable saddle (So comfortable in fact I ordered one for my Karate Monkey), i threw on some bottle cages, and I found an old Zefal HPx pump on a donation bike which was a lucky, rare find. I plan on adding racks, bags and fenders, but that process is going to take some time. I have an odometer to hook up to her and I plan on keeping a log of the trips i take.
This is the beginging of a beautiful friendship between me and my Trucker, and I plan on wearing out the tires on her as fast(or as slowly) as I can. Dont worry though I will post all my travellings right here on this crazy ass blog. this is going to be fun :).

2 comments:

Kellogg said...

Drool. I've my eye on that exact rig. Can't wait to get some funds together.

Terrific site by the way. Looking forward to more local travel stories.

Unknown said...

hey amy.. ive seen you in my shop a few times.. you may have seen my bike at the shop. im glad you find my site interesting. it can only get more interesting as i find more time to ride. :)