Thursday, February 25, 2010

...i'll take the bears.


Its funny how when I tell people Im about to take a backpacking trip on the AT the first thing they do is worry for me about my safety. "what about bears?" "are you gonna bring a gun?" "people get killed out there!" Then I take a look around at the city... at least someone gets killed every day in the city I live in... car accidents abound, and there are unsolved murders with murderers wandering around the city, perhaps preying on their next victim... Where I am going there will be no cars. When I ride my bike to school or work I risk getting killed by every car that passes me... thats 50+ chances for DEATH everyday! When I drive its the same thing... I get cut off in traffic, people around here cant seem to figure out what to do when it starts raining... I risk death everyday of my life living in the city. Now to take a vacation into the woods... where there are no cars, very few people, and maybe, if im lucky, ill see a bear... I think I'll risk that possibility of seeing a bear that will more than likely run from me. Will I bring a gun? no. Maybe a knife to cut up my summer sausage... do people get killed out there? yes... but the chances of me getting killed on the AT are far less than that of me getting killed on my daily commute... im sorry guys... Ill take the bears.

No comments: