Sunday, March 15, 2009

Lessons learned from my Myakka hike


Based on my experience this past trip to Myakka I have a few thoughts on some difficulties I ran into and some ideas, here is a list of the things i came up with...

-less weight... lighter=better. There was a few things that I could have done without:

-Reading Material- In anticipation of the trip I would have brought less book... i would suggest getting a cheap copy at a used book store and burning the chapters previously read.

-Photo gear- though I used the tripod a couple times, it wasn't worth the extra weight for the hike. The wide angle lense was not necessary either... I used my telephoto lense exclusively.

-Clothing- i brought two cotton T shirts... I should have brought one synthetic. I had a pair of cargo pants.. based on the weather, shorts would have sufficed. The rain gear and extra pair of socks... eh... maybe if I had a better guess as to what the weather and terrain would have been like... who knows... but i dont regret having them.

-FOOD- i carried way too much food. I planned for my changing tastes with normal living in mind.. while on the trail your taste buds dont really give a shit, your body is screaming for nutrition. In other words... I could have eaten the same meal three days in a row and would not have cared so long as i was eating something. Now mind you it would not have had to be this monotonous, but the extra lengths i went to be "gourmet" were useless. oh and spicy foods... NO!
I should have brought more powdered foods such as soup mixes and potato flakes.. dried veges and ramen. the half pound of trail mix, nuts and dried fruits... not even touched. I would bring power bars chopped in bite sized pieces to snack on along the route and possibly candy and peanuts. I certainly recomend trying eating something at home before going out on a tedious hike, to get an idea of what might be palatable, and take into account how much it takes to go into one serving.. the meals i prepared were more than too generous. which in the long run added extra weight.

There are some other things I could have done to be rediculous with weight, and the weight weenies will jump with delight at my recognition of these things... my tent is traditionally a two man tent, and with two people it is great becauase you can split the weight, but with one person the added comfort of a higher roof and a double wall tent really may not justify the added weight. A tarp or single walled tent that can be less than a pound when used with trekking poles would be a great idea to save a couple pounds. Another thing is the stove I use, this is being really picky because the set up I use really isnt bad, but an alchohol stove or a purely dry diet would have saved a little bit of weight... I WILL look into alchohol stoves when i start getting more involved with bike packing... a whole 'nother adventure I havent even begun to truely explore.

Some things I learned beyond saving weight:

Though I have heard those say that solely using water purification tablets make things lighter, I believe that school of thought depends on the sources of water available, and how much you consume. I needed to consume about 2 liters a day at least on my trip and in the dry prairies of Florida the lack of usable water made things difficult, what made things even more difficult was by the time I found water i had to wait FOUR HOURS for the purification tabs to do their trick. With this in mind I had to carry more water with me in fear of having to wait so long next time a water source was available. I recommend carrying a water filter.. the water is instantly drinkable and you don't have to carry extra water in anticipation of the purification lag. If I were able to drink it instantly I would have had my fill then filled the bottle or bag I had with me. dont get me wrong.. I will always keep a couple water purification tabs in my first aid kit for emergency purposes but to rely on them soley... never again.

Trekking Poles - serve many puposes... could have eliminated my need for the tripod, could have eliminated my need for use of tent poles and saved weight on my back through the use of a tarp or tent that used them instead of the poles, and would have saved me some energy and strength(and possibly a sprained ankle) in the miles of pig ruts that litter the trails of Florida. Also possibly a self defense mechanism against these same pigs... though only a minor one. ha. those guys freak me out.

No Regrets - glad i brought the extra camera battery and extra memory card.

5 comments:

Karlos said...

Nice stuff Brian. Good lessons to share. Still working on the bugs myself. Got a trip this coming weekend, woo hoo!

Gladis said...

Thanks for posting this stuff, very good information to have.

There has rarely been a trip I've been on where I wished I'd packed more STUFF. It always seems to get in the way in the end (although your point about bringing the water tablets, and a filter, just in case is wise). And as far as carrying extra gear, share that weight of your two-person tent with someone, man!

Treadlight said...

Thanks for the detailed post B.

That will be my next project, ease up on bike rides and spend more towards backpacking.

Great Job man.

Anonymous said...

Hey dude, ononecog here, my wife and I hiked hillsborough state park 2 weeks ago, and then a 7 mile hike a little manatee river state park this past weekend.
good times, i'll keep checking your blog to see what you learn.
my e-mail is ononecog@gmail.com
I posted pics on facebook

Unknown said...

yeah thanks glad.. I wish I could have taken Caleb with me... we are planning a trip that he can go on soon. :) need to get it in before it gets too hot to bear.