Saturday, December 13, 2008

Canadians ride bicycles in Florida too!




As if unexpectedly seeing a long lost family member I was sparked to life today to see a touring cyclist pull up in front of the shop today. The sheer monotony of pick up tool, turn cranks, adjust, repeat was broken by something other than stabbing into a conversation with another lame joke. Sometimes I wonder myself why I tell those crappy jokes over and over. But back to the story at hand. Like an old friend Aleks rode into my eager awaiting conversation. Aleks is from Canada and is down here in Florida to ride down to Key West. We chatted a little bit about which routes to take through Pinellas and beyond, 5 days in and he has quite a few left to go. I didnt catch where he left from but he told me of a stay in clearwater where a woman allowed him to camp on her mansion lawn by the water on the beach. Nice. It is good to hear that people are accepting to this idea of travelling by bicycle. I still think its crazy... but that is what makes it so intriguing. Well after Aleks and I had finshed talking I made sure he let me take some pictures and we exchanged some contact info. This is a sign... i think to myself. This open road is calling to me. there is so much out there to explore. I cant sit here much longer. DC becons..


here is a pic of Aleks with his fully loaded Peugeot. eh?

No comments: