Wednesday, March 5, 2008

tooting my own horn... BASTARDS!!!

I stopped to help a lady on my way home from work today... I was busy half wheeling this dude about 20 yards behind me(basically going faster everytime he started to catch up- but he was on a geared bike and i was on the fixie... and i could tell he was trying to catch up cause he would sprint every time i slowed down to wait for him... it was quite humerous.) and i crept up on this lady walking her bike with a flat... luckily she happened to be on a road bike which used the same sized tubes as me so i gave her my spare and installed it for her. The dude went flying by when i stopped... figures. Anyway... this lady was more than halfway down the Friendship Trail Bridge when I caught up to her... she told me she had walked her bike from about Manhattan, which was about 5-6 miles back... which means shed been walking at least an hour... this ashamed me because i saw several other cyclists on road bikes that at least a couple of them had a spare tube... bastards!!! Not only that... she was going as far as me... I cant imagine having to walk 15 miles with the bike. and she was only about half way. from now on i will carry two extra tubes... and CO2... that damn mini pump is not fun. stop to help people!!! you never know how far they have to go.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually if you are riding to do your part to save the planet, leave the co2 at the shop and get s better mini pump

OYMbike.com said...

A cyclist in need is a friend indeed. You're a good man Brian.

Anonymous said...

co2 is used by trees to make oxygen for the little furry animals you enviromentalist wacko.
Not to mention the can is 100% recyclable.

Unknown said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7FgKkPHc1E

this settles all... watch... and learn.

Karlos said...

Wait,am I the only one who thinks this lady shouldn't be riding a bike without a flat repair kit? There is a salesman out there that missed an opportunity or she just doesn't know what can really happen on the road!

Nice job Brian, FYI, I cant commute to work cause I work out of my truck, but I always carry a tube and floor pump, waiting for the day that I can help someone out on the road!

Unknown said...

no opportunity missed. i guarantee she'll stop by my shop when she can. i told her where i work.

tyson said...

thats awesome. i can imagine that was a wonderful feeling