Thursday, July 30, 2009

Going native



Few of you may know this about me, but I am part Penobscot. The Penobscot native Americans are a canoeing people from what is now Maine and parts of Canada. I really dont know how much of me is native or really who it was in my family that was but I have been told by my family that the herritage is there. And though it may be very little, I still take pride in my canoeing bretheren of the north. Recently I borrowed, with eventual intent to buy (and restore) an Old Town Camper from a friend. I have been out on the canoe 4 times in the last couple of weeks and it has proven to be an adventurous endeavor. I have gotten some great photo opportunites that I would never have imagined on foot, and getting into those tight spots has been quite fun. Nothing beats getting up before the sun and silently paddling out into the reeds or mangroves searching for nesting egrets, roosting night herons, and other wading birds. But as I have AADD (Adventure Attention Deficit Disorder) I am constantly in need of new things to do to have fun, and a vessel such as my canoe is a great platform for adventuring and camping and photography... I think my Penobscot blood is coursing through my veins happier then before i had the canoe and it is certainly a nice addition to the adventure quiver which I use to constantly seek new means of outdoor fun. These are some pictures I have taken on some of my trips on the Camper so far.

1 comment:

Gladis said...

Hey, buddy. Can you please email me some of the pics from the day we went?