Monday, January 12, 2009

Tragedy averted


I was too focused this morning to take any pictures but I had a decent morning of riding, If you can call a near death experience decent. I hooked up the trail-a-bike to the road bike and took Caleb to school this morning. After that I dropped the trail-a-bike off at the house and rode to school. On my way to school I encountered another bicycle commuter on a road bike with a messenger bag, I thought to myself 'cool im not alone out here this morning'.. as I entered the draft behind him a car moving only slightly faster than us moved into the bike lane threatening to plow over the cyclist about 5 yards in front of me.. I matched pace with the vehicle and began pounding on the rear quarter panel of his car which now had his passenger side wheels entirely in the bike lane.. as I shouted for him to "get out of the bike lane" he finally veered off leaving myself and the cyclists ahead of me barely unscathed. This guy was just oblivious to the two cyclists riding within inches of his car.. if i had not pounded profusely on this guys car someone would have gotten seriouly hurt. Pay attention people.. be aware of your surroundings. Everyday you safe a life by not plowing into us cyclists.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

See... if you carried, you could have really got his attention! Instead of hurting your hand pounding on his car, you could have busted a couple caps off through the back window! :-)

Luis G. said...

I've been scoping (driving) a route I plan to use for bike commuting... everyday I see no less than 3-4 people veer off completely into the bike lane... For me it will be sidewalks, bike lane will only be used in an emergency!

Be careful out there!

Treadlight said...

Watch yourself out there dude.