Friday, September 28, 2007

Fixie Frenzy

All the guys here at the shop have decided to build up fixie bikes. If your not in the in a fixie is a one speed bike with no freewheeling mechanism. basically you cant stop peddaling and you slow down by applying pressure to the backside of the pedal stroke. Street fixies, or track bikes have been big in the messenger scenes in New York City and other big metro areas, but now its really starting to take of as its own sub-culture here in the St Pete and Tampa area. I built one myself out of an old Gitane steel road frame and have been riding it to work every day. Its a killer work out and a hell of a lot of fun.
Bullets Pista.. he cheated... he bought one off the shelf.
Allans baby blue... bike... thing...
My Gitane... 120 miles this week... my shins hurt. That saddle is an old Brooks from the 60s or 70s... i havent had it dated yet. this whole bike cost me less than 50$. The frame was given to me, and other parts were borrowed from other projects.

One of our customers, Renae posing with her pink bike... and some dork. oh and Joe is over there too.
Allan doing a trackstand.. dude can lay down a skid about 7 car lengths... Redickerous.

We will be leading some 66 rides around the Tampa area. It will be posted on the CBE website, my Blogger here and im going to talk to mike at 66fixed about getting some advertising for the shop rides.




3 comments:

Karlos said...

You know a fixie is on the horizon for me, however, if I do, its got to be you know clipped in right? Cause I have seen some flat pedaling, brake having fixie riders.

Anonymous said...

can you ride the fixie backwards yet?

Unknown said...

i can ride backwards for miles :)